In Skin Flap Applications, SFDI…
- Enables early detection of vascular occlusion.
- Quantifies sensitivity to partial flap occlusion.
- Observes changes to flaps earlier than visual perception.
- Correlates well with FDA-cleared devices.
- Has been tested in clinical flap surgeries.
In Burn Applications, SFDI…
- Shows promise as a new tool for assessing burn severity.
- Immediately and accurately estimates burn depth and extent when compared to gold standard methods.
- Can be combined with laser-based techniques for assessing blood flow.
- Differentiates superficial and deep partial-thickness burns.
For Skin Characterization, SFDI…
- Enhances skin research when combined with microscopic tools.
- Quantifies the effects of laser treatments on vascular birthmarks.
In Foundational Research, SFDI…
- Was first demonstrated as a novel method to measure and depth-resolve optical properties.
- Is thoroughly characterized in a seminal paper.
- Has been the subject of a comprehensive review.
- SFDI hardware was developed commercially by Modulated Imaging and systematically evaluated at Dartmouth College.
- Is compatible with data acquisition over complex 3D surfaces.
- Enables quantitative measurements of tissue fluorescence.
- Can be used for tomographic 3D imaging.